How Do You Buy Used Campers, RVs Or Motorhomes?
There are many hurdles to overcome if you don't want to be stuck with a dud. I discovered this when I was searching for a used RV myself, and later for a friend.
To help other friends, (and any other fellow RVer as well), I set out to create what is, I believe, the most comprehensive, freely download- able, checklist for anyone wanting to BUY USED CAMPERS, MOTORHOMES OR OTHER RECREATIONAL VEHICLES currently online. (This checklist is best used in conjunction with "HOW TO BUY A USED RV", the leading used-RV purchase guide).
Often, you see or hear of a used motor home for sale and the fancy strikes you. Or a used 5fth wheel. Or a used camper. You know the feeling . . . you'd like nothing more than to buy the used camper that looks so good, but you know nothing about estimating used RV values, or the actual buying process.
The buying process basically boils down to one simple question: How do you buy a used recreational vehicle without ending up with a lemon?
Buying a used camper can be a major money saver. Used RV prices depreciate swiftly when the vehicle is new, and then flatten out. It is not unusual to buy a used RV and sell it a year later at the same price. This is true of course, of vehicles that are in well-kept condition, so it is imperative for you to check the vehicle you intend buying with a fine-tooth comb. Use this great used RV buying guide together with my buying a used rv checklist to make sure you get it right the first time.
I find the entire used-rv buying processed can be can be boiled down to the following steps:
Step for Buying Used a Camper or RV
- What is the general mechanical condition of the vehicle?
- What is the state of the engine - mileage and dependability?
- What is the age of the RV - could there be a problem with spare parts?
- Leakage can be a problem on used RVs. Check the seams between the main part of the roof and the front and rear caps for leaks
- What is the state of the generator, water system and the A/C & furnace units?
- What is the general condition of the appliances
- Will your family be comfortable with the size of the RV/MH?
- Is the vehicle you're contemplating in your price range?
Take these extra precautions before you buy a used RV, Trailer or Motorhome at Auction:
- Always check the vehicle in person
- Browse the used RV/MH offerings and narrow down the list as much as possible. Read all the information supplied by the seller.
- Verify the seller status and history. Try to stay with the ones with good positive feedback. Then use the VIN number to get the Vehicle History Report.
- Bid for the truck only if you can make the payments! Usually you must immediately pay $500-2000 and the rest within 7 days. Look for specifics in the given information.
Ready to Shop? What's your Choice?
- Used Pop Up Trailers
- Used Truck Campers
- Used Toy Haulers
- Used Class A Motorhomes
- Used Class B Motorhomes
- Used Class C Motorhomes
Start planning the ultimate RV trip today. All the information you need for the best vacation is included in the Trailer Life Directory Campground Navigator 2 Set CD. Click here to Reserve your copy today.
Shopping for an RV? FIND what you're looking for at RVT.com. Click here to Search a nation-wide list of over 35,000 New and Used units.
Leave your RV repair bills to us. Vehicle and trailer repairs can be very costly unless you have mechanical breakdown insurance. Click this link to Compare cost and get a FREE Quote.
Travel Insurance - Don't leave home without it because you never know what's out there. Click here to Compare travel insurance and get coverage.
Mail forwarding for RVers - Get your mail wherever you are! Street address, not POB. Click here for Details.
Get Educated - RV Education101 offers several complete guides to successful RV travel! Click here to Learn more about RVs and the RV Lifestyle.
Are you paying too much for your RV Insurance? Click here for a FREE Quote.